SotM: 12/6

Last night my phone broke. I might be able to revive it with a nice bag of rice. Last night I also 3rd-wheeled it to Charlottesville with some awesome friends and we saw an awesome show. We went to the Jefferson Theater in CVille to see fun. play, with Steel Train as the opener. And yes, their name is fun. with a period, and in lowercase. They came out with an album at the end of last summer, I first heard it from my friend Jess (who I went to the show with) and I fell in love with their music. When one of my favorite bands, The Format, broke up...I was actually sad. When I heard fun.'s album, Aim and Ignite, I heard a familiar voice and I couldn't help but smile. One of the biggest appeals of The Format was the unique, and stellar, voice of the lead singer...who fortunately now sings for fun.. Question: is that extra period needed? It looks wrong. Anyways, it is an amazing album, if you haven't listened, please do (I've used Walking the Dog and All the Pretty Girls from that album as past Song of the Moment tunes). It's some great indie rock/pop stuff that is hard to not like. My sister and I have kind of different tastes in tunes, but when she listened to the fun. album from me, she really enjoyed it and is definitely a fan. Proof that fun. is amazing. They're just great musicians, they make fantastic music, and the album itself is actually really fun to listen to...so their band name is perfect for them.

So, last night fun. put on a great show, talked to the crowd, kept it intimate, and even had a sweet 30-second Aerosmith imitation playing "that song from Armageddon." It was hilarious and actually kind of awesome. They played a lot of their songs, they performed them almost flawlessly, and they even said when the tour is done they plan to record another album. That got me incredibly excited because I really really hope it's true.

Moving on...Steel Train opened for them, and they were a huge surprise to me. I've heard of them, I know a song or 2 of theirs, but they were fantastic. The lead singer/guitarist of Steel Train is the guitarist/back-up vocalist from fun. and is an incredibly exciting person. He is crazy, wild, energized, and keeps the audience loving the show and loving the band. They were great musicians, the back-up guitarist looked like my friend Vince, and they even performed their song from the kids show Yo Gabba Gabba. The song was called "It's Fun to Dance" and they insisted we all go crazy for the 2-minute song and dance like little kids. We all did. I loved it. They got the crowd so energized and pumped and absolutely ready for fun. to come out and play.

So, for today's Song of the Moment I think I'm going to have a little bit of both of these bands. I'm going to throw in one of Steel Train's songs off their Trampoline album from 2007 (even though they just put out an album this June), and another one of fun.'s songs off their Aim and Ignite album. So, I hope you can dig this sweetness, coming at you fresh off a CVille show.

Song(s) of the Moment 12/6

Firecracker by Steel Train (skip ahead to 2:25 to hear the song begin)



Take Your Time Coming Home) by fun.




If you wish to leave comments or check out older posts: www.tylerconta.blogspot.com

__________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment