Black Friday

Thanksgiving is over. Yay! The holiday that celebrates genocide, treaty-breaking, and land-stealing with gluttony! Hooray America!

Today is Black Friday. Time to go shopping at 4am and wrestle crazy mothers for Tickle Me Elmo and Furby, right? Right. OR...you could do something like one of these 2 things:

1) The Richmond SPCA is having a deal for adopting black cats and dogs today. 50% off the regular adoption price. Now that's the kind of Black Friday I'm talking about! Giving a loving home to an animal that truly needs it. If animals aren't your thing then how about option #2...

2) My roommate Chris sent out an email (in our giant email chain) yesterday saying what he was thankful for. He's in Haiti right now, working to try to help the Haitian schools. And what he sent was a great way to view Thanksgiving, in my opinion. Here's part of what he said:

"So as you're sitting down to eat today I hope you'll think briefly of people who have nothing to eat and don't know where they're next meal will come from. One of our students came from 3 hours across town yesterday to check if we had a little money to pay for his food - he has none and doesn't know when he will eat next. It was his birthday (I'm not [kidding] you).

I know, you don't need reminding. I know, you probably haven't forgotten, but there's not a lot you can do....But it's really true; almost a billion people deal with hunger every day.

It's just a suggestion: wfp.org
or
go to kidsconnectionhaiti.org and sponsor an at-risk Haitian youth"


Now, in case you don't know me, I'm weird about certain holidays. Thanksgiving is kind of iffy for me. I like it just fine. Yet, I think people forget what it means to be thankful (and I'll admit I forget sometimes too). It doesn't mean you should just sit on your butt and enjoy your family and say you're thankful for lots of stuff. Sure, please enjoy them and be thankful for them, but you can do more. You should do more. We're practically obligated to do more because we are privileged. I always believe people can do more. I felt weird being home this Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving 2008 and 2009 I was in New Orleans working with The Phoenix of New Orleans to help rebuild homes. There is a JMU group down there as we speak, working. I wish I could be with them, or with Chris, or somewhere where I can put all the things I'm thankful for to good use. I'm thankful for the talents, skills, privileges, and perks in my life. I'm thankful for a home, family, friends, my girlfriend, food, occasional work, health, and love all around me. But as I understand, as Chris put it, and as I hope you understand...you should be thankful in an ACTIVE way. DO SOMETHING. What's so hard about giving a small gift or donation to places/people/causes that need it? You can give like $12 and purchase a few rabbits for a family through Heifer or World Vision. If you're opposed to dealing with animals like that, give a donation to a mosquito net, AIDS pills, soccer balls, education, clothes. If you don't have lots of money, then give your time/energy/love. Tell someone you love them, volunteer an afternoon, support a cause.

- Quit talking. Do something. Show why you're really thankful by putting to use what you should be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday my friends.






If you wish to leave comments or check out older posts: www.tylerconta.blogspot.com

__________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment